Discovering a museum on a stroll.
About Niedrimatten uf Suppen - field names in Mürren
The unique display window museum tells about history and stories of Mürren. It shows rooms and buildings of cultural-historical importance and creates a social-historical link to the present. The museum consists of different displays spread through the village. The exhibition is renewed annually and available only in German.
The exhibition (December 2019 - 2020) looks at the 288 field names, the immaterial cultural heritage of Mürren. The names come from the everyday life of mountain farmers and are still valid today. Many of them were official postal addresses until recently. The linguist Peter Zinsli calls it «The humanization of the landscape through the language of mountain farmers». The names have been too difficult to pronounce for the British members of the Kandahar Club, hence they renamed the hills and valleys in their own language. These names are still used today.
The museum can be visited at any time.
The visit is free of charge.
The eight display cases are located on different places in Mürren.
1. Bergbahn Lauterbrunnen–Mürren Google Maps
2. Alpine Sports Centre, next to the reception Google Maps
3. House Montana Google Maps
4. Schnitzlerhiisi Google Maps
5. and 6. Old carpentry Google Maps
7. Station Schilthorn cableway Google Maps
8. House Steinbock, next to Coop Google Maps