«Family Run»: Bussalp - Rasthysi - Lochsteinen (No. 56)
The leisurely toboggan run
First of all, one of the yellow buses from Grindelwald Bus takes you from the village towards Bussalp. On the way to Bussalp the bus driver explains what to look out for when sledging.
The Family Run first leads from Bussalp on the road towards Holzmattenläger. At Holzmattenläger it is first slightly uphill on foot and then alternately downhill and uphill on the sledge towards Rasthysi. Arrived at Rathysi, the fun descent towards Lochsteinen follows. On the Family Run from Holzmattenläger to Lochsteinen there are no buses and you can enjoy the peace and nature to the full. You are always rewarded by the magnificent view of the surrounding mountain world of the Grindelwald Valley.
At Lochsteinen you can either take the bus back up to Bussalp or toboggan down the City-Run even further towards Weidli. Depending on the snow situation you can even get back to the village.
- 30 minutes
- 377 vm
- Starting Point
- Bussalp (1800 m.a.s.l.)
- Ending Point
- Lochsteinen (1425 m.a.s.l.)
- Recommended season
- Buy a day ticket for sledging
- Insider tip: Night sledging with fondue in the mountain restaurant Bussalp
- Family snow park on Bussalp
- Sled or toboggan
- Ski helmetday
- hiking backpack (approx. 20 liters) with rain cover
- comfortable and waterproof winter shoes or sturdy hiking boots (if necessary dredges and gaiters)
- hat/headband, scarf
- waterproof glovessun and rain protection
- Provisions and drinking water, thermos bottle with hot drink
- first aid kit
- pocket knife
- Cell phone
- if necessary headlamp and reﬂectors
- Map material
The 10 rules of sledging
- Show consideration for others
- Adapt speed and driving style to ability
- Respect the lane of the vehicle in front
- Overtake with distance
- Look up before entering and approaching the road
- Stop at the edge
- Get on and off at the edge
- Observe signs and markings
- Provide assistance
- In the event of an accident: give personal details
More information and links
Bussalp (1800 m.a.s.l.)
|Geographic||46.649555 N 7.991244 E|
Lochsteinen (1425 m.a.s.l.)
Step by Step Directions
Bussalp - Holzmattenläger - Rasthysi - Lochsteinen (continue along the City-Run toboggan run to Weidli/Grindelwald)
Thanks to its central location in Europe, Switzerland is served by international trains from over 12 countries. Within Switzerland, Intercity trains run directly from Basel and Lucerne to the Jungfrau Region. Travellers from Zurich have to change in Berne. The trains run every half hour.
The buses are right next to Grindelwald railway station.
From Interlaken follow the main road in the direction of Zweilütschinen. There you turn left towards Grindelwald. The whole trip takes about 30 minutes and is partly winding.
You can use the public parking garages in the center of Grindelwald: Parkhaus Eiger+ (252 parking spaces) and Parkhaus Sportzentrum (160 parking spaces)
Alternatively Parking area Grindelwald Grund